Macadamia Crusted Chicken
- 4 tablespoons macadamia oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 200g (1 1/2 cups) macadamia halves
- 400g (2 cups) basmati or long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 litre (4 cups) boiling chicken stock using 2 stock cubes
- Sea salt flakes to taste
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Handful chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sumac or lemon juice
Heat macadamia oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and macadamias. Stir often over low heat for 5 minutes until macadamias lightly brown and onion softens.
Stir in rice until well coated with oil.
Pour in stock and spices. Return to the boil, cover and simmer undisturbed for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and stock is absorbed. If the rice becomes too dry, stir in ½-1 cup water.
Stir through olives, parsley and season with salt.
Serve with char grilled chicken skewers, sprinkled with sumac or accompany with lemon wedges. Serves 6.
Note: Omit chicken skewers and serve with roast chicken. Omit the olives, add 4 tablespoons currants when cooking the rice.