- 75g (1/2 cup) whole macadamia nuts
- 115g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 165g (1 1/2 cups) rolled oats
- 165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 125g butter, cubed, melted
Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Spread the macadamia nuts over 1 tray and cook in preheated oven for 6 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a chopping board to cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
Sift the flour and ginger into a large bowl. Add the macadamia nuts, rolled oats, sugar and coconut, and stir to combine.
Combine the boiling water, golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda in a small jug. Once the mixture froths up, stir in the butter. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add the cooled butter mixture to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine.
Place 2 heaped teaspoons of mixture onto 1 of the lined trays and use the back of a spoon to flatten slightly. Repeat with the remaining mixture, leaving about 3cm between each. Bake in preheated oven for 13 minutes for chewy biscuits or 16 minutes for crunchy biscuits, swapping trays around halfway through cooking. Set aside for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool.